How to thrive as you age with your fitness and health
by Ben Fogel -- Epic Fitness
Our very own Ben Fogel, CEO of Epic Fitness Utah, will be writing articles for our newsletter, sharing his expertise on health, wellness, and fitness. Thanks, Ben!
I was recently asked by a client about these 2 categories of fitness for folks over the age of 40.
How does a body over 40:
How does a body over 40 workout effectively and efficiently as possible while avoiding injury?
- Work out effectively and efficiently as possible while avoiding injury?
- Gain muscle, flexibility and improve cardiovascular health?
The secret as you age lies in the adage “little and often over the long haul. We recommend strength training 3x/week along with prioritizing great sleep, supportive nutrition, and even soft tissue work.
One of the most important points here - Warming up is often the most highly overrated part of the workout but is truly the most important piece. Your body needs the extra time to prepare for the strength training session. Elevating your heart rate and getting your joints mobilized may be the best thing you can do each and every time prior to your workouts. How does a body over 40 gain muscle, flexibility, and improve cardiovascular health?
Gaining muscle as we age can have many roadblocks, but it is not impossible to accomplish. The best way to maintain (and gain) muscle is with a consistent strength training routine, with these qualifiers:
- Your level of training volume and intensity is appropriate (3x/week strength training)
- You are eating sufficient protein daily (at least .75 grams and up to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight).
- You are getting minimum 7 hours of sleep a night
- Your calorie intake is sufficient (not in a calorie deficit of over 200 calories per day)
Continue reading "Fitness Over 40" here!